Thursday, March 1, 2012

What does it look like to help other non profits and Churches?

Booked tickets to Atlanta for Jeff, Mark, Cassie and myself. No way this happens back this past summer! Cool to see how things have progressed so far so quickly! 

Today I received an email from a partner who is sending me a check for the homeless effort! That is awesome! 

During my prayer walk today I got the impression to pursuing how we as a church can partner with other churches to make a difference...ie Northminster and reaching the community. What if we could help them fill their building? Think of what that would mean for the kingdom. Yard sale, concert, coop, services etc...

Then I recalled an email I just received last night asking for help for another church that was hurting financially. I asked the person to call me and that I could share my story of where Atlee has come from. 

I walked her through all the way back to last summer and the discussions of laying off staff, Jeff's sudden departure, my confession of loving money more than God! 

I then told her of the book Maximize and how Lil had read the same book at the same time and I didn't even know it.

We then met with SMT and trustees and staff and had everyone on the same page. We then planned a 6 week series on finances. The tithing challenge was introduced. Books were given away The Generosity Ladder, Fields of Gold. Cafe was made free, a culture change was introduced. The results of the challenge have been awesome. Giving has exceeded the budget ever since Oct 30th! The participants in the challenge have tripled what they were giving! We have given away so much!

D. was thrilled and excited to share with her minister and is on the journey, we started down back in Sept 2011! I look forward to what might be for them! I can't wait to see what happens.

Can we all just get along to further the kingdom? What does it look like to help others in what they are doing? Northminster, Hands up ministries, Embrace Richmond , Other Churches

Who else can we come along and help? God please send them! Give us wisdom and clear vision as to where you want us to go and who we can help.

Today I found out the armory is being developed by Mike Frazier for an indoor facility for the Richmond Raiders football team as well as a possible police precinct and community outreach programs. Frazier is the CEO of Genworth Financial. His Forman C W suggested that I contact him. Praying for a connection.

1 comment:

  1. Nelson,
    Keep at it. I am very proud of you and what you are doing. It is a true Christian ministry. There is so much that can be done in our own backyards. so to speak. Love, mother

    ReplyDelete