Friday, March 9, 2012

Pay it forward!


In Wikipedia "The expression "pay it forward" is used to describe the concept of asking that a good deed be repaid by having it done to others instead."

As I have been reflecting on the last couple of days I have a new appreciation for the term "pay it forward". I have come to see a few individuals especially, take this meaning to a whole new level.

Two days ago I had breakfast with Charles. If you recall Charles spent over 30 years on the streets as an addict. He is now working with Embrace Richmond, a non profit working to make the poorest neighborhoods in Richmond a better place!

I spent most of my time with Charles learning from him. He has a wealth of knowledge to share! We spent some time dreaming of what could be. I love to dream of what could be with Charles.

The need for a women's facility like the Healing Place. 

The Healing Place

Right now the Healing Place is for men only! This is where Charles went for help.

We continued to talk about the different needs. There is a huge need for family's that have been displaced temporarily, such as the family that comes to Church right now that we are supporting in a motel. The need to reach teenagers with addictions! The list goes on and on! 

The need could be for a Dream Center right here in Richmond. Let's pray for what God wants to do here in the city of Richmond!

The Dream Center

As we spoke about teenagers and drugs, Charles shared with me the mindset of an addict. It was all new to me. Even though I have done my fair share of things in my past I had no idea of the depths of the problem. It's easy to distance yourself from things if you don't put yourself in a position to hear! My mind was running crazy as we continued to talk. I could see how things could change. If you don't believe I was going crazy, then just ask the staff how I was when I came back to the office. 

As I paid for the breakfast I asked Charles if he needed any bus tickets. He said he could use some for different people he could help. What you don't know about Charles is that he goes around Richmond and I mean the whole city filling needs. He sees a need he goes and fills it anyway he can. He does amazing work like finding shelter for folks or finding furniture for a pregnant woman who is sleeping on the floor of her apartment with her kids and the list goes on and on. Charles once described folks that help out in situations like this as "Street Saints". Even though he wouldn't call himself one because he is that humble of a man Charles is a "Street Saint"!

Then later on that morning I found myself walking the streets of Brookland Pkwy with Rudy and Wendy. Wendy runs Embrace Richmond where both Charles and Rudy are employed. We were studying the vacant buildings to see where Embrace might set up shop. It was a new adventure for me. Wendy and I were the only white folks around and it was obvious! 

Again it was a chance to dream with others of what could be!

After some time Wendy took off and Rudy and I took a look at an empty building that was for rent. As the owner came out of the building we made an inquiry and literally he said he had just rented it to another tenant five minutes ago. I then asked what kind of business? Guess what he said! A thrift store!!! I was actually excited, it was as if God was confirming the plan.

Then Rudy and I went to have lunch together. Rudy had also come from the Healing Place. In our conversation Rudy spoke of how he had seen God move, but that he had never seen God move so fast! It sent chills down my back to hear those words! I told him that God was moving very fast and that we best get ready! This just got me more pumped!

As I sat there I learned from a man who had a heart of gold! He cared so deeply for the teen addicts on the streets. He shared that he didn't want to see teens waste away ther lives. They still had a chance to change and still have the majority of their life to live! Rudy is also a "Street Saint" looking to help others.

The next person I would like to mention is Michelle. She has gone through a lot of difficult circumstances in the last year. I would encourage anyone to come to Church this Sunday to hear her story first hand. It is exciting to see the lives of a woman and her three children change so quickly! She and her family came out of a shelter and now she wants to help change the things that are broke in the system that prevented her from getting help. Michelle was brilliant in her approach and she wrote an article online where she received the necessary help to get employed and more. 

Michelle has joined a team at Church to help with the homeless initiative and not only that, but for the last few weeks she has volunteered with Cassie and Hands Up Ministries to provide tutoring for kids in need!


Pay it forward has a whole new meaning! 

If you think about what Christ did for you and I and then remember that we are called to serve, then you can replace the definition above with service! 

Christ first served us that we might serve others!

Charles, Rudy, Michelle and others are paying it forward!

By the way they are all "Street Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment