Monday, April 30, 2012

Fear Factor

The tv show called Fear Factor is all about facing your fears! Today was a new day to face one of my fears!

Things started off in the usual way. I went to my spot beside Northminster to pray. Around 7:30 am the school bus came around and I knew that I was going to get to see Geraldine!

I love speaking with her because she loves life and loves God! She is so inspiring to be around. We laugh a lot together. I am ALWAYS smiling after I leave speaking with her.

As I made my final lap around the block I asked God for courage and the ability to face my fears.

Through this journey I have refused to go to the hood or what some may consider the strip by myself! I was scared!

I said to myself that I would only walk down Brookland Park with another person, especially someone of color. In most cases no one will speak to you if you are white. If I am walking with an African American everyone will speak with him, but not to me.

I was too scared to be the only white man on the street. I am always viewed strangely and probably looked at as a cop. This was confirmed today when I spoke to a cop about the situation.

So as I drove away from Northminster I began to plan my next steps. I decided to take a small step forward. Progress for me was to go to six corners and have breakfast at the Firehouse Cafe by myself!

I showed up looking for my waiter, Corey. He was not there.

As a matter of fact NO ONE was in the restaurant except a waitress and the cook. I sat down to eat by myself. It wasn't too long after I got served a WONDERFUL breakfast (cost less than $3), that Martha from Boaz & Ruth showed up unexpectedly!

She asked if she could join me. I said yes and we proceeded to have a great conversation. She gave me some history lessons and began to explain to me the information behind the study called "Unpacking the Census" done by my friend Dr John Moeser whom I met last week.

We had a WONDERFUL time together which was cut short because she had another meeting to go to. We discussed getting together again real soon. I love spending time with Martha!

I love how God meets you right at the place where you fear the most and surprises you when you least expect it!

I hope that I will continue to play Fear Factor and see how God will show his face!

No comments:

Post a Comment