Monday, April 9, 2012

Seven Words!


I have never been so excited about seven words!


You might not be able to understand, but let me try to explain. When I started this journey of prayer walking in the north side, I felt called to pick up the trash while I walked.


This idea was confirmed again in a book I read a few weeks ago called "The Cause within in you".



For Adopt-A-Block, we typically pick up all the trash on the streets and sidewalks and vacant lots in the neighborhoods we serve. A lot of people normally think of that as scut work, a task meant for the lowliest of the low. We try to elevate the importance of that task by helping people realize they’re not picking up garbage; they’re restoring respectability to the place where God’s beloved people live. They are rebuilding people’s dignity by providing them with a beautiful place to live. They are demonstrating their love by doing something that many people would turn up their noses at.


Barnett, Matthew (2011-02-01). The Cause within You (Kindle Locations 1575-1579). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 



Today I started by getting up late. I slept in! This contributed to the fact that I actually saw some people in the morning!

I went on my normal routine and while making my second go round the block, as I approached Ladies Mile Rd from Montross, I saw an elderly lady cleaning the hood of her car. I was praying for a conversation with her even though she was across the street!

I passed by and nothing! Oh well!

Then I heard THESE words from behind me shout out as I passed by "Thank you for picking up the trash". 


I turned and said did you have a nice Easter? She said " Yes I did and I am glad to be alive!"

Those words almost brought me to tears! It's not only the words she spoke, but the fact that she was excited to be alive! 

For some in that neighborhood that means more than you know, as they hear gun shots at night and constantly leave their blinds down ALL day long so no one can look inside.

I can not relate, but I can share in my concern for the neighborhood.

I am not talking about me! Im not looking for recognition! Please don't read into this!

So why is this so significant! It's all about relationships!

A while back I told you about Geraldine the school bus driver. We talk at least two to three times a week! Now I have a relationship with the lady on the corner of Ladies Mile and Montross. Even though it maybe just a few words it starts there! 

A relationship is a two way conversation!

I have been praying for this community for months now and I am thrilled to talk with a neighbor!

I started, knowing that people would be watching this old white dude walking the streets every morning wondering what the heck?

Most days I speak with a middle school age girl as she waits for the school bus, the guy walking his dog each morning and Geraldine (my angel!). Now another neighbor!

It's working!

In the small little details God can do the most amazing things!

No comments:

Post a Comment