Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Church vs the church!

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to see the old church on brookland pkwy!

This was an opportunity I had been praying for for weeks, if not months!

After numerous attempts of trying, I finally got a call to set up a time to meet over there yesterday afternoon with a few friends. I had high hopes based on a few things that had happened weeks earlier. I believed that the old church could be converted to some great ministry opportunities in the brookland park area. At one point it housed the Bethlehem Center and was originally a Presbyterian church.

I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I was disappointed by what I found inside.

The inside was in total disarray! Plaster was falling off the walls and the walls were falling down. The stairs to the third floor were collapsed. The sub-basement was flooded and causing humidity, which in turned caused mold all over the place.This is just a small taste of what was there! The environmental issues could be huge!

I may never know why God called me to that church, but this is what I do know!

God knows better than me! I am just called to be obedient!

I truly enjoyed my time with those who were there with me! They too were curious about what might be before we entered the church?

It's fun to dream together!

Some were there to show their support, some were there to make sure I didn't make a mistake and another came to walk down memory lane and revisit the times back in the mid eighties, when he used to do ministry in that building.

As I found myself reflecting on the afternoon, I realized that I was more enamored by the building than what the building or church stood for. The church was dilapidated and falling apart similar to what the neighborhood was going through.

Is The Church a building or a body of believers?

A few of us gathered together to dream of what could be when we walked into that building! All of us with different backgrounds and different perspectives. Two non profits and three different churches were represented!

That's the Church!

It's awesome when The Church comes together and dreams of what God could do in the area!

Please continue to pray for The Church and what God would have us do in the north side of Richmond.


Well, The Church showed up that day!






No comments:

Post a Comment