Sunday, June 9, 2013

Exercise Your Faith

Over the last few days I have been thinking about "How do you exercise your faith".

What do I mean when I say "exercise your faith"?

If your going to run a marathon than you better train and exercise beforehand.

So how do you grow your faith?

I mean how do you grow with intention your relationship with God?

How do you be proactive in your faith?

It may come in small steps or in leaps of faith.

For me it has been through fear.

Fear doesn't usually come to mind when you are talking about a relationship.

Fear has been a motivator for me to trust God.

With fear I have two choices, stop and don't do anything or face my fears with God's help.

It is in those times when I choose to face my fears that I see God move in mighty ways.

Some times it might be the fear of not knowing what's going to happen next.

Or how about the fear of going into a strange neighborhood.

The fear of whether or not someone will like me.

The fear of public speaking.

The fear of not knowing what I am doing or even the fear of writing a blog!

These are all some of my fears I battle with.

When I choose to run from my fears I don't see God move in my life as much.

This is when I take the calm and safe path.

As a matter of fact no action means no works.

It becomes the norm. The average way. The safe and easy path.

No consequences.

And yet there is a consequence, no growth in my relationship with God!

It doesn't take faith to do nothing!

The bible speaks of faith without works in the book of James.

James 2:17King James Version (KJV)

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

We need to exercise our faith!

Some times it's small like speaking to a neighbor or a stranger.

Some times it might mean taking a much larger leap of faith like moving to a new neighborhood to be closer to the Urban Camper.

The last 18 months has been a journey of facing my fears and growing my relationship with God.

If fear has been holding you back, I recommend facing that fear with God's help and watch what will happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment