Thursday, June 13, 2013

Community For The Urban Camper

I have heard it said numerous times that there are folks on the streets that don't want any help.

They prefer to stay where they are and have no responsibilities.

That makes a lot of sense in some ways.

Free spirit and no cares in the world.

I am not sure that is truly the case when you dig a little deeper.

I believe people say they like living on the streets because they don't know any better or they have forgotten what it is like to be in a community.

I have also seen the fact that many of the urban campers ARE living in community.

Last week I watched a video of Tent City, USA put together by the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Below is the trailer for the movie.

I rented it online to watch. 

http://www.amazon.com/Tent-City-USA/dp/B00A2KILD6

I would recommend it!





What I found fascinating was the fact that 75-125 people were living in community with one another.

They were looking out for one another and caring for each other.

They met each others needs.

What I saw in the movie represented more of the Church we see in the book of Acts than what I see on a daily basis.

I believe God calls us to be in community with him and each other.

The individuals on the streets that don't want help are scared and probably have never experienced true community.

I was inspired by this movie!

What are the possibilities of creating a space for true community to take place?

It probably doesn't look like anything I am familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment