Sunday, June 2, 2013

Don't Take Things For Granted

Yesterday was a simple reminder of the things I take for granted.

A good meal, a pleasant day on the deck, and a good movie.

The day was started when David asked if I would pick up a friend of his downtown and bring him home to visit.

Tom is a friend of David's. As a matter of fact David used to live in Tom's camp in the woods near the train tracks.

Tom was also one of the ten men that went on the retreat.

So a call was made and I went downtown to meet up with Tom.

David and I went together.

As we were driving David said I had no idea what this would mean to Tom.

He further explained that something like this is huge to the people on the streets.

Every day is a grind! The same old thing every single day. 

Depending on the day of the week, that determines which direction your headed for your next meal.

Every week and every day of the week is the same routine. Day in and day out.

We found Tom in a parking lot and headed home by way of the downtown expressway.

On the drive home Tom said he couldn't remember the last time he had been on a highway.

I had to remind him that it was on the retreat back in February!

That afternoon David fixed a feast for the two of them.

They sat together on the back deck exchanging conversations.

David said to me that it's huge just to be normal for a time.

After the meal then it was time for a movie on the big screen in the basement.

The Hobbit was the movie of choice.

By the time the movie was over it was time to take Tom back downtown.

Tom really enjoyed his time with David and a chance to meet the rest of my family.

As we drove back to the southside David said that I had no idea what that meant to Tom.

I agreed.

I take for granted way too much what I have!

May God continue to bless and reach those I come into contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment