Friday, August 10, 2012

BBQ sandwich!



What's so special about a BBQ sandwich? Tonight God answered the prayers of many, but more than that he answered the prayers of one lady who just wanted a BBQ sandwich for dinner!

Let me start over by unfolding what an incredible day I have had!

Thursday morning we were hosting the Global Leadership Conference at Church. I was running around in a whirlwind as I often do!

Early on, I received an important phone call from a friend at a restaurant. Randy stated that he had just met a woman at a restaurant in need of some help, she was homeless.

After speaking with her on the phone I found out that she was in the care of Caratas, one of the many shelters in Richmond.

I gave her my number and told her to call me if she needed anything. I assured her that she was in good hands with Caratas and that I would try to help her find work in her field. She is a mechanic.

No sooner did I hang up the phone then I got a text from Sara needing help with another homeless woman.

I couldn't believe all this was happening during the conference. I began to wonder how was all this going to come together. My natural tendency would have been to put it off until I had time to deal with it.

That would mean two days later! There was a conference going on!

I had to try!

The story goes like this.

Rachel was driving down midlothian and saw a woman who looked in distress.

She felt a calling from God to turn her car around and ask her a question!

As Rachel drove up, she rolled down her window and asked this perfect stranger a question.

Are you safe?

The woman lets call her Mary, responded to Rachel by saying that one small word NO!

Rachel immediately responded in action and told her to get in the car.

It turns out that Mary was homeless and struggling with addictions.

She took Mary to central intake and made plans to send her to North Carolina for rehab!

At this point Rachel contacted Sara who contacted me to see if I could help find Mary a safe place to stay over night. The rehab in NC did not have an opening right away.

I made some calls with not much luck!

Then I decided to call my good friend Charles. I spoke to him on the phone and he went into action as Charles does!

Within an hour or less Mary was booked on a bus headed to rehab in Louisville Kentucky!

I then received another text asking for dinner before the trip. I was still at the conference waiting for it to end.

As soon as I could, I left with Mark and we headed to the bus stop. Mark suggested we stop down the street from the terminal and get some Bill's BBQ sandwiches.

When we arrived at the terminal there was Mary and Rachel sitting in her car waiting.

We gave them their dinner and Mary was in shock!

Not a few minutes earlier Mary had shared with Rachel that it would be great to have some Bill's BBQ for dinner!

We all smiled! We knew who was in control of this situation!

We chatted and ate dinner outside in the parking lot.

Then afterwards we said a prayer for Mary.

No sooner had we finished our prayer time then another angel showed up with clothes and personal supplies. She was a friend of Sara's. She said she knew where to go because she had seen this group of people huddled up in the lot.

Sara showed up right before the bus was about to leave. Rachel recounted the past 11 hours with Mary. When she got to the part about Mary wanting BBQ for dinner. Everyone said in unison!

God loves the little things!

Like BBQ!

We have a personal God who cares about the details!

In the picture below is Rachel, Mary and Sara!

Pray for Mary (not her real name) and her new lease on life!

Thank you Mark for being there!

Thank you Charles! You are a true Street Saint!

Thank you Sara and your friend! (I am sorry I forgot her name).

And I thank the Lord for Rachel and the courage she took to step out and help a perfect stranger!

Nothing better than when the body of Christ can come together and help save a person's life!





1 comment:

  1. Sarah's other friend was Darla I believe. Truly an incredible night!

    ReplyDelete