Saturday, December 1, 2012

Dinner with the Homeless



This past Tuesday evening I went to the Alpha and Omega Church for the homeless. 

This was a special evening because one of the small groups from my church were there to serve the food!

I had fun introducing Jerry to Mark. 

I also struck up a conversation with Mike, who I have seen riding his bike around the area. We talked a lot about his past employment.

The bible study was great and encouraged us all to open up our hearts to God!

Some of the folks in the group from Atlee shared that it was quite an experience!

Towards the end of the night I met another gentleman named Rick who used to work for American Airlines. 

He stopped to ask me if I could give him a ride that evening?

Here we go again should I or shouldn't I?

I couldn't help but stretch myself again by saying yes, I would!

I thought to myself, here I am going to take not one but two strangers downtown at night and not to the best part of town.

So I walked up to Mark and told him to call me in 15 minutes to check up on me!

He offered to follow me downtown! I quickly accepted his offer.

Rick and his friend got into the car and began to have quite the discussion about Jehovah witnesses. It was a blast just to sit back and listen. 

They rambled on for a few minutes until Rick shared with his friend how he had opened his bible right at the beginning of the Bible Study to Isaiah!

As the pastor began to share she started quoting from the book of Isaiah. 

Rick was blown away! 

His friend wasn't impressed, but I confirmed to Rick what God had done!

It was a relatively short trip downtown to what turned out to be the cold weather shelter!

I dropped Rick and his friend off and Rick assured me that we would see each other again!

I was confident that we would!

I drove off towards home and thought to myself dinner with the homeless was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment