Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Burger King Challenge!



This morning I was driving to work by way of Atlee Road. As I was 

passing by Mechanicsville Church of Christ I noticed a gentleman 

walking briskly on his way on the side of the road. The reason I 

noticed, was that I had to move over into the other lane to give him 

some room.

I could see the look of determination on his face. 

As I drove by the discussion began to take place. Do I pick him up or not?



I can give you a hundred reasons why I shouldn't, but this time the Spirit won out!

I turned around and drove up next to the gentleman and asked if he wanted a ride.

He immediately said yes!

The gentleman was wearing some sort of uniform and apron that you would find at a restaurant.

He got in the car and introduced himself as Robert. 

We exchanged names and then I asked where he was going?

He said he was going to Burger King in Mechanicsville.

I then proceeded to ask where he lived.

He said he lived over off AZALEA AVE!!!!!

I had to ask again! Where?

He wasn't sure, but that he thought it was 7-8 miles away! 

He explained that it took him 2 1/2 hours to walk to work!

He said that sometimes he gets a ride from a friend, but "You do what you have to do"!

I love this man's determination and willingness to walk to work 2 1/2 hours if need be!

I dropped him off a couple of hours early from his 11am shift!

He said he would rest before he got to work.

I was inspired by this man who works at a burger joint for what I would assume to be low wages and to top it off, he will WALK to work 7-8 miles if necessary!

I would like to challenge anyone who reads this post today and go have lunch at Burger King across from Lee Davis High School and just say something nice to Robert who was willing to walk 7-8 miles to work.

Let's make Robert's day and just say you admire him or something like that!

PS For a description I would say a man in his 40's, bald, African American and he wears a phone ear piece!

PSS Maybe even offer him a ride home!

No comments:

Post a Comment