Sunday, September 2, 2012

Open your eyes!

It's easy to miss what happens in your city, if you don't open your eyes!

Friday was awesome and dreadful at the same time.

I started the day on my prayer walk around Northminster. It was great to find Tim praying in the very spot where I pray every morning in front of the fountain.

I am humbled by what God is doing in the Northside.

I proceeded to breakfast at the Firehouse, the restaurant is a part of Boaz & Ruth.

I watched three men count out their change to see if they had enough money to buy breakfast. I wasn't sure how to feel, as I watched them joke and push their dimes and quarters to the side of the table.

I then went to my 9:30 appointment to give blood on the southside.

Afterwards I couldn't resist going to the Good Samaritan Thrift and checking it out. It is located in the shopping center at Westover Hills Blvd and Hull St Rd.

I was surprised to see how reasonable the pricing was. They had a great selection as well.

Then I proceeded down Hull St to Good Samaritan Ministries' office. I stopped in to look up Pastor Mike. He wasn't there.

I wasn't going to waste the rest of the morning, so I called Charles up. I told him I was on my way over.

We went to lunch and dreamed some more about all the possibilities of how to make an impact on the city!

Charles then suggested we do a drive by and pay a young mother a visit.



Just off Brookland Parkway we came across a house that was in bad shape. It happened to be up for sale because of foreclosure.

On the front steps were at least five guys drinking, shooting the breeze. Charles asked if someone would get the young lady we were looking for.

When she came out she was surprised to see us!

She walked us around the outside of the house which was in some disrepair. She then took us inside to see her room.

As we passed the men on the steps you could just see what they were thinking. Charles joked to me, that I was the policeman!

When the door to her room opened I was in shock!

Four small children all on ONE bed in one small room with one Large TV. That means SIX people live in that one room!

My heart goes out especially to those kids! They become the victims of their parents poor choices!

There is a lot more to this story, but I would ask for prayers for the family and the guys hanging out there.

Pray that hearts will change and they will seek the void in their lives who is Christ!

My eyes have been opened to a tradegy that I would not have seen, if not for my good friend Charles.

He has shown me a horrific way of life, that I had chosen not to see for all these years! 

This way of life is happening right here in our city!

I am more passionate then ever now, to pray for those who have so little and live a life trapped in their addictions.

Let's all pray and open our eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment