Friday, September 14, 2012

Hit Bottom



The past few days, I have been thinking of of what I might say to all the people on the streets holding up signs for help.

Most all of them are asking for money!

I have been told by a lot of people and social services that most of the people with signs are not homeless!

One day at The Healing Place, Charles pointed out a guy that was making up to $100 a day on the street corner asking for money.

This was his choice to live on the street and beg! 

The money continued to feed his habit!

He was not at the place where he could see his need for help!

I refer to that place as "The Bottom".

I can remember when I hit "The Bottom" and saw my need for God in my life.

I have wondered how the conversation might go with an individual on the street asking for money.

"I can give you what you need, but not what you want!"

"If you've hit "Bottom" I can show you where you can find help." 

"What you want is money! "

"Money will not heal you!"

"Money will not fill the void in your life!"

"Money will only feed the habit and help enable the cycle you are in!"

"If you really want help I can walk with you in the right direction."

"I can give you what you need, I wont give you what you want."

Ultimately I want them to realize their need for Christ!

I want to show them love and not judgement!

I want to treat all others just like myself!

I want earn the right to be heard, so that they may hear the gospel.

I don't want to fix them!

I want to walk along side the person and provide the way to a meaningful relationship with God!

We all have a choice to make!

Am I ready to walk with those who have hit bottom and want to make the right choice?

I pray for wisdom, courage and strength to walk with those who have hit bottom!





No comments:

Post a Comment