Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Slice of heaven!

What does a slice of heaven look like?

How about a church for the homeless!!!

Last night I visited a little church called The Alpha and Omega Bible Church on West Marshall St.

http://myaobc.com/directions

The church serves the homeless community!

I arrived shortly before 6pm.

I wasn't quit sure what to expect when I got there. 

I immediately found Carolyn, the pastor and told her that I had some clothes in the car for her.

She called out to some of the guys to come give me a hand unloading the car in the rain.

A few men and women followed me out to the car and we had it unloaded in no time!

I then proceeded to the kitchen and helped feed about 50-75 people.


The folks that came through the line were from what appeared to be many different backgrounds.

They were all very appreciative of the food that was being served.


After dinner, we actually ran out of the main coarse, we proceeded to make sandwiches for every one.

The sandwiches were passed out in baggies for folks to take with them or in some cases they sat and ate them there as well. 

At 6:30pm Carolyn asked that the folks who wanted to stay to quiet down and she would start the bible study.

There were about 35 people left intently listening to what she had to share. She was sharing stories about some of the people in the bible starting with Adam and Eve, Noah and others.

She did a great job telling stories from God's word!

Afterwards I met a few of the folks that were serving in this ministry. 

What a great heart they all have! 

I admire each and everyone so much for what they are doing.

I started this journey very uncomfortable. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

I am beginning to realize the more uneasy I get going outside my comfort zone the more surprised I am about how God works.

It's a process of depending on him and not my own understanding!

Last night I saw a slice of heaven where I had never been before! 




No comments:

Post a Comment