Sunday, July 15, 2012

I want to be different



The false choice of mediocrity

Too often, we're presented with choices that don't please us. We can pick one lousy alternative or the other. And too often, we pick one.
I was struck by Apple's choice to put a glass screen on the original iPhone. Just six weeks before it was announced, Steve Jobs decided he wanted a scratchproof glass screen. The thing is, this wasn't an option. It wasn't possible, reliable, feasible or appropriately priced. It couldn't be done with certainty, and almost any other organization would have taken it off the list of appropriate choices.
It was unreasonable.
And that's the key. Remarkable work is always not on the list, because if it was, it would be commonplace, not remarkable.
Seth Godin

As I read this post from Seth Godin I am reminded that I don't want my relationship with Christ to be mediocre!

I don't want to be just another christian.

I want to be a Christ follower!

It should be extraordinary!

The problem is that I can easily fall into the trap of normal! I have my routines and I do them every day. It feels safe and I know what is going to happen.

I want to change up my routines and see what Christ will do, if I put myself in a place of depending on him!

I want to change into the person Christ would have me be.

This morning I drove by a homeless person on my way home holding up a sign on the side of the road.
The key word here is BY!

I passed by and as I did I felt God's Spirit tell me to turn around. I wrestled with it for several blocks and eventually made a u-turn!

I stopped, got out and asked if he needed a ride to Central Intake downtown. Central Intake is where the homeless go to seek help through out the city. He said no thanks. I then asked what did he want. He said some money to get to New Jersey. I offered to take him three blocks away to the bus station and pay for a ticket to New Jersey. He was taken back by surprise and didn't quit know what to do. He seemed very grateful, but he refused my offer. He reached out to shake my hand and say thank you, but no thanks.

I wish I could tell you something wild and crazy happened, but it didn't for the homeless guy.

I drove away wondering what was going on with him. I figured that he probably wanted money for, well who knows what?

The real key to the story is that I did something different!

I took a u-turn! I listened to God's spirit and did what was right, not what was convenient or safe!

I want to be a Christ follower! I want to be different!


No comments:

Post a Comment