Saturday, May 18, 2013

Setbacks and Divine Appointments

On Thursday, David went in for day three of his chemo treatment.

On this particular occasion they decided to do some blood work.

His sodium levels had fallen to a dangerous level.

He was to be put in the ICU for the second time in just over a month.

After waiting literally hours, we finally got to move into the ICU.

Upon arrival I looked at the nurse with some curiosity.

I am terrible with names, but great with faces.

I asked if she knew my wife. She immediately smiled and said "yes we went to nursing school together". Bingo!

We had a great time catching up and getting up to speed on David's situation.

I was thrilled to know that David was in good hands!

But that thrill was short lived.

Just after he got settled in bed, in walked the Dr. 

I couldn't believe it, the one and only Dr I would not want to come into David's room!

Let me stop you there and get anyone who is not up to speed to read this post from 4/15/13.

This is the same Dr that watched and did nothing as I had to restrain David when he was not of sane mind in the emergency room back on 4/13/13.

The same Dr that did not bother to fully examine him, if he had at that time David would have been admitted to the hospital right then.

No we ended up coming back three days later and David was placed in the ICU.

The same Dr that dismissed David from the hospital at 4am in the morning with no money, no phone, and no ride home.

Needless to say this was an opportunity to bite my tongue! 

I began to repeat in my mind "love your enemies".

The Dr introduced himself. 

It took all I could not to unload my frustration!

I stayed calm and began to jog the Dr's memory.

I immediately reminded him that we had met before.

I reminded him of the picture of me in the hallway of the ER restraining David to his bed.

The light came on in the Dr's mind!

He was obviously taken back quit a bit! 

He had a real blank look on his face as he tried to reach for the right words to speak. 

At this point the Dr said "You have a good memory".

I couldn't believe how all this has happened, but I know that I have some great material for how impersonal, irresponsible and confused our health care system is.

I have seen first hand how vulnerable the homeless can be even in a hospital that should be there for the health and well being.

Those patients that are all alone need an advocate!

I do know one thing!

I know God is in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment