Friday, May 10, 2013

Charity vs Kindness

I would like to propose that we stop giving out charity and start doing acts of kindness.

When I did a Google search for "charity definition" this is the first thing that came up.

"The voluntary giving of help, typically money, to those in need."

When I looked up kindness I found a great description on Wikipedia.

"Robert Louis Stevenson considered that 'the essence of love is kindness; and indeed it may best be defined as passionate kindness."

Charity infers that the giver has something the recipient doesn't have. Therefor the giver unknowingly in most cases, is superior to the recipient.

There is no dignity or respect when it comes to charity in the eyes of the recipient.

In the bible God teaches that love is kind. 

One of the greatest commandments is to love thy neighbor.

So how do we express this love through acts of kindness and not charity.

For me it has been a learning curve over the last year or more, but yesterday it rang true to me.

I texted a friend of David's, a fellow urban camper and asked if he wanted to pay David a surprise visit.

He replied back that he would like that. I then made arrangements to pick him up at the city library.

The library is the place for the urban camper to get access to email and get out of the weather.

When we arrived at home David was surprised and thrilled to see his friend!

We then proceeded to go out to dinner together because a prospective buyer was coming by to see the house.

We had a blast laughing and enjoying each others company at dinner.

After dinner we all went for a drive down to the river to see how high the water was since we were expecting a flood.



David used to be an expert kayak-er so he was thrilled to see the crazies out on the water doing their thing!

After we dropped David's friend off, he said to me that was the first time the two of them have ever had a meal together in a real restaurant.

He then proceeded to say, you have no idea what that means to my friend.

When you take someone out of their harsh environment, that alone can recharge their batteries.

I take for granted eating out with friends. 

I have a new appreciation.

Charity is usually quick and uncomplicated. 

Kindness takes time and effort.

I believe God calls us to love one another! To be kind!

I am all about kindness and not charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment