Saturday, November 3, 2012

Humiliated!


Friday morning Charles took me to Caritas Works for something called "Morning Motivation".

Caritas Works is part of a program that works with men at the Healing Place coming out of recovery.

http://www.caritasshelter.org/works.html

http://www.thprichmond.org/

I wasn't quit sure what I was getting into.

I saw a few familiar faces as I walked into Caritas.

Charles led me down the hall into a large class room.

There was a large circle of chairs with about 15 men in suits sitting there.

I sat down and the program started.

On the wall behind us were two questions. One said,  "Where do you see yourself in five years?" and the other said "What would you like to have accomplished?"

Then one of the men proceeded to the middle of the circle.

He said "Good morning Caritas family my name is Jim"

In response the rest of the men YELLED  "Jim you are awesome, motivates us!"

Jim would then proceed to answer the questions on the wall.

It was very inspiring to hear the stories from these men who have struggled with addictions and after a year have remained clean.

These men are due to graduate from the Caritas program in the next eight days!

Now the story gets a little more crazy at this point.

After answering the questions you are required to sing a song any song but you must sing!

Once the song starts the rest of the men in the circle chime on in.

They were doing all the backups and the sound effects.

There was plenty of enthusiasm and clapping!

I heard a lot of Motown this particular morning!

Now picture this, I am sitting in the circle and it comes around to me!

I know I can't sing!

Sure enough I said "Good morning my name is Nelson" and they SHOUTED "Nelson you are awesome, motivate us"

I responded by saying I hope I will be working at Atlee Community Church in the next five years and that by that time Homelessness in Richmond Va will be over!

Then the humiliation set in!

I couldn't think of any song because I was too embarrassed! 

Then I thought of my wife's ring tone on my phone! So I dedicated my song to her "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch!"

As I turned to sing I did add that I was a much better dancer! So I sang a few words and they took over the rest.

 I started to strut my stuff and soon the nightmare was over!

I can honestly say that it was awesome to hear the dreams of men who have a second chance at a new life!

I will take being humiliated any day to hear the dreams of men coming out of recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment