Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cooperation within a dream!


Saturday afternoon I found myself driving around the boulevard near the bus station and I went back and forth several times.

I was looking for Jerry. I wanted to run by my idea of a week retreat for the homeless.

It turns out that when I got home I read an email that stated that the cold weather shelter was open this weekend.

Richmond, VA - The city's Cold Weather Overflow Shelter will open
tonight, November 2, Saturday, November 3, and Sunday, November 4, as
overnight temperatures are forecasted to remain at or below 40 degrees.
The emergency shelter is located at Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church, 14
West Duval Street. The shelter opens at 7 p.m. and closes the following
morning at 6 a.m. Food will not be provided and pets are not allowed.

As I read the email I couldn't help but think, how did Jerry and Tina get there?

So if the temp is above 40 degrees then your out of luck!

Not to mention the fact that no matter what the temperature is at 6am your back on the street!

No meals included!

So back to my dream. I see a warm place available all day, three meals daily, and you won't get kicked out at 6am!

It may only be for seven days, but you have to start somewhere in order for change to take place. 

Seeds planted one day may become a full fledged dream come true!

I am sure Jerry went to the cold weather shelter. He had mentioned that shelter before.

If you didn't read my earlier post here it is.

I have a dream!

Jerry lives on a park bench in front of the bus station.

He would be considered chronic homeless because he is not in the shelter system and lives on the streets.

Who better to give you input than a chronic homeless person.

I asked Charles about it and he liked the idea so much, within a day he had a meeting setup with Caritas for Monday.

Keep in mind Charles spent 33 years homeless!

Meanwhile Travis the owner of the camp is excited about the idea.

It will take a lot of people cooperating together to see the dream become a reality!

I can't wait till next week to see what other pieces of the puzzle will fall into place!

No comments:

Post a Comment