Thursday, May 24, 2012

History


Interstate 95 being built through Richmond

History is about what we learn from the past and not about carrying the burdens of the past with us today!

Tuesday night I went to a presentation called "Unpacking the census 2010".

http://www.hic.iofc.org/unpacking-the-census

It was a very insightful picture of the history of Richmond as it pertains to race relations and the impact of poverty on the city. During the presentation I learned about discriminating lending practices called redlining.

http://dsl.richmond.edu/holc/pages/home

I also learned about the destruction of neighborhoods like Jackson Ward and Navy Hill as a direct result of the construction of I95.

In November 1951 the City of Richmond voted overwhelmingly NOT to have an expressway (Interstate 95) run through the city!

http://www.slideshare.net/jzur/unpacking-the-2010-census-part-2
                                   (start at slide 6)

This all became more personal when I learned that my grandfather, T Nelson Parker Sr was mayor of Richmond during this time!

There was so much more information presented that I could not do it justice in this blog post. I hope to bring this presentation to Atlee some time soon.

"Unpacking the census" gives me a better perspective on the history of race relations and poverty in Richmond. I have a much deeper appreciation of the challenges that we face overcoming homelessness in Richmond.

This makes it even more exciting to see what God can do through those who are willing to participate in his redemptive powers of restoration. It's an opportunity for God to show himself strong!

Let us not dwell on the past, but look forward to what the future holds!

There is reconciliation in Christ!

When Christ died for us, his grace was extended to all of us who wish to receive it.

PS Thank you Dr. John Moeser for all your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment