Friday, May 25, 2012

Dreams do come true!

Wednesday afternoon was quit the surprise!

I took the afternoon off in order to do some research on the history of Richmond. On my way to the city library downtown, I drove through Northside. 

As I drove down Brookland Park I said a prayer for the family of the man that was shot the day before. I then turned onto North Ave off of Brookland Park as I made the turn I noticed a few friends standing on the corner.

I did a u-turn and came back around to find Wendy, Beth, Rudy, Tim and others walking the streets. I got out and ran over to speak with them. As I was speaking with Rudy and Beth I noticed Wendy and Tim across the street praying with a young man. Rudy said he was the brother of the young man who had just been killed.

I love the fact that God placed them in that spot to meet and pray with that young man!

As we continued to talk Wendy called us over to Twiggy's (restaurant). I came inside to find tables setup and interviews going on. There was Charles, Q and Roger (all from Embrace Richmond) who were conducting interviews with young applicants applying for internships with Embrace Richmond.

http://embracerichmond.org/

Wendy didn't hesitate to ask me to sit down and help conduct the interviews!

I love how she gets things done! I eagerly joined in not knowing what I was getting myself into.

It was an absolute blast talking with these young men and finding out what they wanted to see happen in their neighborhood. These men were all in their early twenties.

Some of the applicants really impressed me and gave me so much encouragement about what the possibilities could be for the future of Northside!

There were probably 6 or 7 applicants. I asked where they heard about the jobs. Most of them said they had received word from a flyer that Roger had passed out on the streets. All of them wanted to work. They all were asked what would they like to see in the neighborhood.

They all shared the same dream of a safe place for teenagers to go and hang out!

I pray that God will consider their dreams as prayers and I know that prayers are answered!

It's a joy to see the youth of the city wanting a better place to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment