Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Three of the greatest words told to me!

This past Tuesday evening was one of the most significant evenings in my journey to help the homeless.

I know people who read this might be wanting something really big to read about.

Sometimes the things that are most important happen in the smallest of ways, but mean the most.

For weeks now I have been praying for a man and a woman on the streets named Jerry and Tina.

Jerry is a Vietnam vet and his good friend is Tina. They sleep on a bench in front of the bus station across from the diamond.

Tuesday morning I passed them by on my way to the Northside. They were sound asleep at the time under a pile of blankets. I then proceeded to go and pick up Charles for breakfast.

After I got Charles we went to the Dairy Bar by way of the boulevard which meant we had to pass the bus terminal. As we were driving by I saw Tina and Jerry getting up.

I pulled in and Charles and I walked over to visit and invite them to breakfast.

Tina was taken back at first, but she smiled and then proceeded to walk away down the boulevard.

Jerry was surprised to see me so early in the morning! He wanted to join us for breakfast, but he couldn't because he had a Dr's appointment.

This was significant because Jerry had been putting this off for a while. I told him we would do it another time.

I was very encouraged he was going to see a Dr. I knew he needed to badly.

As we left the sidewalk I told Jerry that I would try to see him that evening at the dinner/bible study. He put out his hand to say thank you.

That evening after I left the office I went with anticipation to the bible study. I wanted to see if Jerry actually made it to the Dr.

As I pulled in I immediately saw Jerry standing outside. He came up to me limping along as soon as I got out of my car.

It was as if he couldn't wait to see me either. Something was different from the last time we saw each other a week ago!

Jerry began to open up to me like never before. I couldn't believe what was happening. We covered a lot of ground. I then proceeded to take some clothes inside.

Jerry offered to help, I tried to resist because I knew he was in a lot of pain. He refused to let up so I gave in and he helped me carry some things inside.

That night when dinner started Jerry made a point to say he wanted to talk with me before I left to go home.

Dinner was over and I went outside to say goodbye to Jerry. He opened up some more and I got a better look at life on the streets. He confided in me unlike anything I had experienced before.

He had genuine concern for not only his own welfare, but for his friend Tina as well.

I told him to stay in touch and let me know how I could help them.
I then told him I needed to go home to my wife. He proceeded to give me a big hug. 

He then said "Tell your wife I love her and I love you!"

God is on the move!

Pray for Tina and Jerry!

I know God is up to something really big! 

Some times it comes in the form of a spoken word!

No comments:

Post a Comment