Friday, October 26, 2012

Does God hear the prayers of a drunk?

This morning was pretty awesome!

While on my drive over to Northminster, I took a different approach. I asked God who or what should I be praying for?

I drove up to my usual spot on the side of the road looking out across the lawn towards the Church.

At this time of year it is still pretty dark outside and so I waited a few minutes for the sun to come up.

While I was sitting in my car the usual student passes by unnoticed. Then a few minutes later a woman with her two dogs came jogging by.

She stopped for a few seconds right in front of my car while her dogs did their business. I'm sure she was asking herself who is this guy sitting in that car?

I began to ask myself the same question!

It wasn't a few minutes later that I ventured out for my walk.

As soon as I opened the door I was startled by a voice behind me. She said "Good Morning!"

There walking up the street towards me were two women. I hadn't even noticed them.

The next words out of her mouth came as a complete shock!

"Will you pray for me?"

I was caught off guard and didn't know what to do? I began to ask myself. Am I wearing a collar, robe or a suit?

Why would she come out and ask a complete stranger, who just got out of his car if he would pray for her. Not to mention the fact that I am a middle aged white guy!

At this point she began to ramble off a hundred reasons why she needed prayer.

With each sentence she would say "You got me?" As if to make sure I understood her.

She explained that her boyfriend was 14 years older than her and that he was a vet, but he happened to be in jail. She didn't want to loose her house. She said that money was fine, but other things were falling in on her.

Meanwhile her friend just stood in the street observing. I wasn't quite sure she wanted to participate in the conversation. She seemed to have her act together, but stood off in the distance.

Finally the lady shared her name, Shareese(not her real name). I introduced myself to her and her friend Melissa (not her name).

We shook hands and then Shareese proceeded to ask for prayer about all the other things going on in her life. She described the way she looked as "gangsta" because she didn't want to get raped.

I then proceeded to say "OK let's pray right now!" She was obviously taken back when the four letter words came flying out of her mouth and then she said "I am drinking a beer". I think it was a little obvious!

I told her I didn't care and let's do it. At that point she was more than willing. She even insisted that her friend come join us.

There we stood in the middle of the road praying for Shareese!

It was awesome!

Afterwards the two women began to walk away. Shareese turned to me and asked me if I remembered her name?

I have to admit that I forgot! I said Sharrrrr?

She gave me such a hard time!

I deserved it!

At this point being the guy that I am I shouted back "Do you remember my name?" She didn't and asked me to repeat it.

I said "Nelson" and she said that was easy like "The Nelson Clinic"

At one point I asked for hers again and wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it. I also got her boyfriends name as well. She spelled them out for me.

I started the morning asking God for who I should pray for and He showed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment