Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ministry or Money?

I wrote a post a while back about staying on mission.

Some times we can get off mission when we focus on the money.

This same theme keeps coming up again and again.

The other week I went to a meeting with several different organizations that were working with the homeless community.

The common theme of the meeting seemed to be focused on the need for more resources ie... money.

In the real world of non profits I get it.

These organizations are doing some great work! 

They are run by great people and are impacting thousands of people for the good.

But when I speak to some of the recipients of their services they have a different take on things.

They have shared with me that the non profits some times get off their  originally mission of helping and get side tracked on focusing on where the next dollar is going to come from.

Sunday I read a very sad article about one of the local shelters, Freedom House

They will be closing their doors at the end of this month.

It was mentioned in the article that "we just don't have the money any more".

I have personally seen the damage that can come from focusing on the money and not the mission or calling.

I have seen it in my personal life as well as the life of my Church.

God calls us to love him and then each other and that is where we need to start.

If we do what we are called to do then the money will follow.

It's his money any way!

Matthew 22:36-40
New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


I believe ministry must come first!

I am looking forward to what God has planned to pull THE CHURCH together to serve the Homeless community as a result of this big void that will be left after the end of this month.


I see it as an opportunity for God to show himself strong!

Thank you Melba and staff for all your wonderful years of service and sacrifice!

No comments:

Post a Comment