Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Life was Saved!

A life was saved, mistakes were made and I am left with a lot of questions!

The last five days have been like a huge roller coaster ride.

On Monday I wrote a post about a friend of mine who was released from a hospital about 4 am Sunday morning!

He had no money, no phone, and no ride.

One Friday my friend had made some very poor decisions.

He was going to be asked to leave the house he was living in.

I was in agreement with that decision.

But it turns out that God had laid it on Cassie's (Landlord) heart to be more concerned for my friend's health than his poor behavior.

As long as I have known him he has had respiratory issues.

Cassie would give him one last chance to stay, only if he would seek medical help.

He spent the day Monday doing just that, but the challenge for an Urban Camper is much different than most of the folks I know.

One service provider would not be able to see him until June 4th!

So the day was spent chasing rabbits down holes! 

He did put forth the effort, but with no immediate help.

On Tuesday I had him come to the church and do odd jobs in order to earn enough money to help pay this weeks rent.

By the end of the day he was wiped!

Wednesday morning I got a text asking me to take him to the hospital.

He had been sick all night long.

I asked my friend Charles if he could drive him down to the hospital.

At about 11:00 am I received this text from my friend.

"X-ray, Breathing treatment, Cat-scan, and IV looks like Pneumonia."

Then at 2 pm another text: 

"I'm headed to ICU"

I then went to the hospital and found out that not only were his sodium levels dangerously low, they found a mass on one of his lungs, on top of all the respiratory issues.

Please pray!

When your sodium levels are that low you run a high risk of a heart attack, thus the admittance to the ICU.

A biopsy will be performed later when he is more stable.

I am grateful for Cassie caring so much!!!

She wanted to see him well!

God has a way of moving even despite my own lack of understanding or sensitivity.

Forgive me.

The questions that are raised far exceed this post but here are a few.

Why didn't the doctor on Saturday find the low sodium levels when he was there and blood tests were run?

Why did this same hospital put him out at 4 am?

The effects from low sodium were exactly the same symptoms that my friend was showing on Saturday.

I am thrilled that he is getting proper care now.

Wednesday I saw a different story in the ICU than the emergency room last Saturday night.

I don't like what I see as prejudicial and inhumane treatment from an organization that states on its website "established to preserve and restore health for all people".

My experience on Wednesday has been the total opposite!

He has been diagnosed and treated with the utmost respect!

The nurses have been caring and very helpful.

A life was saved today, but I still have a lot of questions!

Thank you Cassie for your caring heart and listening to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment