Thursday, August 15, 2013

Voluntary Segregation

Not too long ago in a conversation with an African American lady in the neighborhood, I was asked "What is the most segregated day of the year?"

She answered her own question.

Sunday!!!!

At the time she had just told me how her church (mostly black) and another church in the West End (mostly white) get together a few times a year to worship.

I thought that was awesome.

It's true that on Sunday we see most churches have subconsciously become segregated on their own. 



Some may have been intentional.

I don't believe that is what God intended.

So this past Sunday I went to a friends church (black congregation) uninvited.

I asked my good friend Charles if he wanted to go with me.

He said he couldn't.

He then asked "Are you scared?"

I said "yes" but that I was determined to go any way.

I think he wanted to see me squirm.

I knew that I was just looking for some comfort in having a black man go with me.

He knew that about me too.

Yes, I was uncomfortable and I was definitely out of my comfort zone.

It turned out to be a great experience.

I learned a little more about myself and got to hear a great sermon from a great pastor.

I also got to see how far we have to go 

"Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done, On Earth As It Is In Heaven"

I am encouraged and excited to see how God is going to bring healing and encouragement to the Northside and the city as a whole.

It is going to take some time and individuals to push themselves to over come the voluntary segregation we have created on our own!

But "Thy Will Be Done"!

No comments:

Post a Comment