Thursday, October 3, 2013

I don't like cats but?

Saw an old friendly face last week at Mt Moriah.

There was a luncheon being served by the Friends of the Homeless.

Luke (not his real name) was there grabbing some lunch on Friday.

I sat down with him and he asked about the retreat from this past February.

He seemed interested in the retreat, but he said he was unable to make it.

He said he couldn't make it because he cares for a lot of animals.

He feeds about 40 cats around the city as well as a bunch of birds.

I have seen him loving on a few cats over on Marshal street.

He told me he really loves animals and it shows.

I asked him about the loaves of bread he was carrying around. 

He had a large bag full and those loaves were for the birds.

Then to my surprise, he lugs around two gallons of water!

That's about 10 lbs on top of whatever else he has.

The water is for the cats.

Luke used to be an insurance salesman.

He also said that he recently worked at a Stuffy's sub shop on Libbie Ave.

I told him that I used to live a couple of blocks from there.

That opened the door for more conversation.

It turns out he used to volunteer for a friend of mine I just met a couple of weeks ago.

Luke told me that he can't cover as much ground as he used to, but he still walks about 15 miles a day!

I love the fact that he goes out of his way to love on the animals.

I am sorry, but I don't love cats.

But I love the fact that Luke does!

Sitting down and having a meal with someone opens the door to build a relationship!

Whose your next meal going to be with?




No comments:

Post a Comment