Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Circle is Getting Bigger, but Not Any Larger.


This past Friday something extra special happened.

For almost two years I have been prayer walking in a big circle around Northminster Church and the surrounding neighborhood.

I started alone on this journey.

I was inspired by a book I had read called The Circle Maker written by Mark Batterson.

Along the way many people have showed up to join me.

Many prayers have been lifted up for this church and the neighborhood.

On Friday I had come to the church to pray.

When I drove up I saw a group of 4 ladies and 1 gentleman holding hands and praying at the corner of Moss Side and Westwood.

What a beautiful sight to see.

After I parked my car I tracked them down and asked if I could join them.

I knew a couple of the folks in the group. They were all from Northminster.

From what I understood, they had read the book The Circle Maker and had started praying for the church every Friday morning.

The reason I had not seen them before is because I was not there at that time of day.

This was awesome to hear because I had prayed that others would take the leap of faith and come and pray for the church as well as the neighborhood.

As if that wasn't enough as we rounded the turn for the second or third time, there stood Charles and Corey talking on the sidewalk.

These two men live a few blocks away. Both men are close friends of mine.

We had them join in on our prayer time.

This was a small picture of The Church. 

A group of people from all walks of life rich, poor, white and black holding hands and worshiping an amazing God together.

Standing on a street corner praying looks a little strange to most folks, but I know people are watching and their curiosity is on the rise.

I pray that they too will be drawn into the prayer circle.

Getting up and doing something about it requires an act of faith.

It was a privilege and an honor to join hands and be of one accord as we prayed together.

I knew at that moment not only was God smiling down on us, but God was up to something really BIG!

The prayer group was getting bigger, but the circle around the church remained the same.

There is a determination in these prayers that God will show up in this neighborhood in a refreshing way that will draw all people to himself.

We just need to be faithful and intentional in our walk with him.

God's timing is not our own, but I am loving every minute watching the circle grow bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment