Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Phone call from jail



On Monday afternoon I received a phone call from an inmate of the Henrico County jail.

Let's call him Bob.

Bob called me to say that he'd received my name from a friend who works at the jail and attends Atlee.

He went on to say that he needed a duffle bag to put his personal belongings in. He was being released on Tuesday. The plastic bags he uses will not hold up.

Bob happens to be homeless and tends to spend time in jail to stay off the streets.

He assured me that he was not a hardened criminal.

I told him that I'd do my best, but I couldn't make any promises.

I found it amazing that all he wanted was a duffle bag. He didn't ask for a place to sleep, food or money!

I ended up in meetings all day and found myself at 6:30 pm looking in Sam's club for a duffle bag. I finally made a call to the jail to see if I could drop it off. 

The answer was no!

I went home frustrated. 

I got up the next morning full of energy and prepared to face this challenge again.

I noticed on my bookshelf several new bibles that were left over from a case I'd bought for my wife several months ago. 

I took a bible and wrote a short note with my life verse Prov 3:5-6 on the inside cover.

It reminded me of the time I received my first bible.

I then proceeded to Walmart and found the exact bag that Bob wanted!

I traveled across the river and went to the jail. I'd envisioned the night before that I might run into a sheriff in the parking lot who might help me out.

It wasn't two minutes after I arrived in the parking lot a man in a sheriff's uniform came walking by.

I asked if he could take the bag in to Bob. He said sure! 

He even knew who Bob was. It would appear he was a regular at the jail.

I haven't heard anything from Bob yet, but I can still be praying for him.

It turns out that another person who is helping me plan the retreat works at the Richmond City jail. 

He told me last night that he knows Bob as well. He said that Bob might be a great candidate for the retreat.

So the next time you get a call from jail don't be surprised what might happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment