Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homeless man prays for me!

I started the new year with my usual devotion time. It was about forgiveness.

2 Cor 2:5-11

I then went on my prayer walk and thought about the need to forgive and move forward.

I made some notes in my prayer journal concerning my family.

I then drove off looking for Jerry (Homeless man that sleeps on the park bench in front of the bus station).

I didn't see him at his usual spot. I continued down the boulevard looking for him.

I spotted him walking down the other side of the railroad bridge on the boulevard.

He immediately spotted me and started to laugh a little.

He came up to the car and said he had just finished praying that God would send ME to pick him up!

I was caught off guard a little bit, but I shouldn't have been surprised by what God can do!

Jerry got in the car and asked for a ride downtown to the Conrad Center, which is the point of entry for all the homeless in Richmond.

As we were driving Jerry shared how he had gotten up at church
(Alpha and Omega Bible Church) last night and spoke about God to all his homeless friends.

It was very exciting!

He then shared that he had always wanted to be a preacher!
Jerry wants to share the love of God with all the folks he meets!

He then stated that he needed to get his act together first.

When we arrived at the Conrad Center he asked if he could pray for me!

He started by saying "God I want to ask a favor of you".

Jerry prayed that myself, my kids and wife would be closer together!

I was blown away!

I am on this path to help solve homelessness in Richmond and the people I am trying to help are praying for me!

Exciting and humbling at the same time!





2 comments:

  1. I am sure that everyone admires your passion, but it feels like you left something out of your story. By striving so hard on the homeless issue you maybe neglecting others. God and family are first

    ReplyDelete