Friday, January 11, 2013

More about building trust!

Yesterday I put up a post about giving to the homeless without playing judge or jury!

Give? But don't judge!

I said that I would follow up today about the conversation with Robert, that I had yesterday morning.

I went to find Robert standing outside the Wawa and approached him standing on the corner.

I introduced myself and he smiled.

I asked if he wanted to go to breakfast and he immediately responded "No I have to stay here".

On the way over I began to think to myself that maybe he just might not want to go out to breakfast with me.

Sure enough he was hesitant.

He began to explain that he needed to be there to receive funds and maybe even someone might offer him a job

I responded by saying that I might be that "someone".

He said "but you work for a church!" (He had received my business card the day before.)

Interesting comment?

We had a great chat and it was fun getting to know him.

He showed me all the cuts on his jacket and the bullet hole in his sign.

Evidence that there are people out there that don't care and are cruel in their behavior!

I walked away knowing that trust had to be built first before there could be any movement forward!

Solving homelessness is NOT quick or easy!

It will take a lot of patience and building up of TRUST!

PS Robert is not homeless yet, but he is on the cliff! He is currently behind in his rent this month!


No comments:

Post a Comment