Sunday, January 19, 2014

Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

There are some days that I see something that motivates me even more than before.

Along this journey there are days when I can get discouraged or I turn it around and get motivated.

Today was a day of both discouragement and motivation.

This morning on my walk I went one block from my house and started my usual routine of praying and picking up trash.

I saw some trash in the middle of the road a few cars up from where I was at.

The car was running, so I assumed someone was heating up their car before they drove away.

It was pretty cold this morning.

When I got to the side of the car I noticed that the trash was a couple of those small creamer cups for coffee.



As I bent down to pick up the cups I noticed someone in the corner of my eye.

I was slightly startled.

There in the back seat was someone curled up in a ball trying to sleep.

I can only assume the car was running for heat.

The creamers were probably from a warm cup of coffee earlier in the night.

I continued my walk up the block.

To my amazement another piece of trash in the road and sure enough another person asleep in a car. 

This time the car was not running.

As I walked down the block I could only pray for those sleeping in their cars.

I can't imagine the desperation they must be in.

It motivates me even more to create a safe place where dignity and respect are given to those in need.

A place, people will want to come to, instead sleeping in a car.

Last night I slept in a warm bed and I believe everyone should be given the same opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment