Monday, February 3, 2014

Mr Fixit

The other day I spoke with Richard Galloway, founder of a ministry in New York City.

The ministry is called New York City Relief

One of the outreach programs is called The Relief Bus

The Relief Bus goes into Harlem, the Bronx and other sites throughout the city.

It is a mobile outreach center for the poor and homeless.

A lot of their work is to build relationships with the people they meet and then connect them to partner agencies to help them in their journey.

The bus goes to where the people are!

I had a blast getting to know Richard.

We spent about an hour on the phone sharing stories of what God has taught us.

In my conversation with Richard he spoke about how we are not called to fix people.

I am a fixer and I could relate to what he was saying.

I see a problem I immediately want to fix it.

If your homeless then let me find you a home.

If your jobless then let me find you a job.

Don't get me wrong these things are not bad in and of themselves.

Richard went on to say that we were not called to fix people, but to LOVE them.

When we love with God's love all things are possible; homes, jobs etc...

We must first love our neighbor.

Not everyone will receive what is being offered, but that should not stop us.

It's called unconditional love.

I can't fix everyone, but I can certainly try to love them. 

I say "try" because I am still learning how not to be a Mr Fixit!

No comments:

Post a Comment