Thursday, October 22, 2015

One slight change

Some times something so simple can make life just a little bit easier.

I thought I learned this lesson last year when we hosted Caritas (Homeless Shelter), but I needed to be reminded again this year as we hosted 43 women.

Last year is was Saturday evening and I had invited the women to attend church on Sunday.

Someone came up to me to ask for an iron.


I thought it was a strange request because I thought to myself "why would I have an iron at work?"

She then informed me that she wanted to press her clothes for Church.

The light bulb came on in my head!

I said no we didn't, but I will run home and get one.

My house is only two blocks away.

I thought to myself if this is what it will take to get someone to church, no problem!

Now let me bring you up to date to last week when the women were here.

I planned ahead and got the iron ready for Saturday night.

Sure enough the iron got plenty of use that night.

Then when I left Saturday night I packed up the iron to take it back home.

My wife and daughter were looking for it, when it went missing.

On Sunday afternoon one of the ladies asked for the iron.

What?

I was dumb founded again!

I never stopped to think that maybe they would want to iron their clothes every day!

The next day an iron and board were donated to Caritas!

Sometimes we just need to put ourselves in someone else's shoes to better understand the needs.

Another example came a couple of days latter, when it was explained to a volunteer, don't put the lunches in paper bags.

Why?

I thought to myself lunch bags make perfect sense.

NOT when it's raining!

Simple, yet we don't always look from someone else's perspective!

Iron
Plastic bags


No comments:

Post a Comment