Friday, October 16, 2015

My heart hurts



I went to the grocery store and saw this woman sitting on the corner.

My heart sank and I got very frustrated.

The reason is that I knew her and she was staying with me at the church.

You see this past week the church has been hosting 43 homeless women(Caritas).

I see women on the streets all the time, but this day it meant so much more.

She was sleeping at our church during the night, but during the day she is taken back to the streets to sit all day and wait for the evening to come.

This woman has some physical limitations that would keep her from a lot of mobility.

I believe we can do so much better for those less fortunate.

What would this picture look like if it were 20 degrees outside or it was cold and raining?

There needs to be a day space that enables people to be constructive and build self worth and dignity.

I use the term "day space" as opposed to shelter because it has negative connotations.

Not to mention "homeless" is much worse!

The day space could be the central point for services as well.

This church has the space, but not the labor capacity to pull this off.

I pray that more foot soldiers will come on board to help make this possible.

We can partner together to make this city a much kinder and loving place to be.

THE Church (as a whole) has the ability and capacity to make this happen!

P.S.

By the way I did go speak to Anne (not her real name) and made sure she was OK.

She claimed she was waiting on someone and that she would see me that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment