Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Breakfast with my neighbors

This past Saturday was the day I made some new friends.

On the third Saturday of the month we open the doors of the church for the people in the neighborhood to come to the food pantry.

The food pantry gives away food to those in need.

The supplies come from FeedMore the local food bank.

A typical day at the food pantry would consist of checking people in and then allowing them to get a bag of groceries.

A lot of people will come up to an hour before the doors open and stand out in the cold.

This Saturday we made some changes.

The doors were open almost two hours ahead of time.

And yes, someone was there when we opened the doors.

Coffee was served as people began to arrive.

Then we began to take orders for breakfast.

People were surprised as to what was happening.

The room was filled with folks sitting around and enjoying themselves.

They all had a great breakfast and then went to collect their groceries.

It was a little chaotic because I was not as organized as I should have been, but breakfast and groceries were not the goals.

What happened for me was the fact that I got to meet my neighbors and have a meal together.

I had awesome conversations about challenging subjects like being judgemental, race and God.

How do we see each other as God sees us?

God used that time for me to get to know my neighbors and they got to know my story as well.

Breakfast with my neighbors I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I can't wait till next month.

Do you want to have breakfast with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment