Thursday, December 4, 2014

Breakfast Anyone?

On Saturday Nov 15th I was on my prayer walk around the church.

It was early in the morning around 7:45 am. 

It just happened to be one of the coldest days of the year so far, 26 degrees.

I noticed a few people walking with their carts towards the church.

I then realized it was the Saturday that we open up the food pantry.

The food pantry serves between 50-75 families.

People were getting in line early, but they were all outside in the cold!

I thought to myself "We can do better".

I went home and mentioned my discovery to my wife.

I told her that I thought we should give these folks a ride home after they picked up their groceries.

They don't need to lug home a bunch of groceries in the freezing cold.

Then the conversation took on a new life.

What if we opened the doors early and let them get out of the cold?

What if we offered a good cup of coffee?

Then my wife said. "Let's take it up a notch".

What if "we prepared breakfast"?

Nothing like a good warm breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast!

So for anyone interested in helping with the food or the rides please show up at 3121 Moss Side Ave on Dec 20 at 8 am.

I would also like to point out it's not about the food or the rides!

It's about seizing the moment to build relationships with your neighbors.

Sit down and have a meal with a stranger.

Break bread together and you will walk away with a new friend.

Breakfast anyone? 

Let's love our neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment