Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Hard Night

Last night I went to Alpha and Omega Bible Church.

It's a church for the homeless.

Usually I go to see some friends and shoot the breeze.

Most nights it's uneventful, but not last night.

First off I drive up and see an ambulance. Someone had gotten a little too intoxicated.

As I walk in, a nice lady spoke to me while sitting on the stoop.

I'll call her Anne for the sake of this story.

Anne was very polite and quite engaging.

She shared stories of singing in church and playing on a pump organ.

Then she spoke of her work history and her separation from her family.

She described her health and her numerous head injuries.

At this point she became emotional. 

It was hard to sit and listen because I have such a hard time relating to her circumstances.

The streets are very dangerous for a single woman.

She had just been robbed last weekend of all her belongings.

Most women will turn tricks to stay off the streets, or take up a boyfriend for protection.

A single women is not safe on the streets alone!

Anne has no place to go.

She is scared and alone!

Anne described the cold weather shelter and no one would like to stay there.

If you get in, you sleep on a small thin mat on the cold floor with no blankets or pillows.

Everyone is stacked up close to each other.

As one guy put it "who wants to wake up, roll over and kiss some stranger."

Richmond we can do better! 

There is no place for a single woman roaming the streets to go if the shelters are already full.

Before I drove home to my comfortable warm house, I gave Anne my card in hopes that she will call me and I can find her some help.

I left the church mad as all get up!

This is not right.

We can do better and we will!

If you know of a place for Anne to go please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment